Thursday, June 7, 2012

Xining: Day One

 
I’m finally here! In Xining! I got here late last night because of a delayed flight from Beijing, and I was surprised to find that the friend of a KU friend that volunteered to pick me up was still waiting for me at 2 am, two hours after I was originally supposed to be there. In fact, he and his girlfriend and his brother who is a taxi driver were all there waiting for me holding a sign with my name at the airport. What a relief.

My first flight was absolutely wonderful, which was a good thing because it was the longest from Seattle to Beijing, just over 10 hours. They upgraded me to business class in Seattle along with Michael from San Antonio, a guy a few years younger than me who was also on his first trip to China. We were the only two non-Chinese in business class, but he was much less enthused than I was about the extra treatment and about going to China in general. He didn’t like the food and kept stabbing it with a single chopstick like a three-year-old and complained every time they made an announcement in Chinese he didn’t understand. That was every time because he speaks no Chinese like me. I hope he ends up enjoying the rest of his trip.

For me, the food was the best part on this flight. We got a full menu to order from, and even though I’m not a big eater when I’m traveling, I couldn’t help myself this time because it tasted so fresh. I suppose I’m an adventurous eater and like to try everything at least once.

I spent most of my time taking photos out the window because we passed by so many different places. That is until the flight attendant asked me to close the shade because everyone else was sleeping. I was just excited to be in the sunshine up there since Seattle had been so dreary and cold, so I kept it open a little and flipped up the shade every once in a while to look out for a moment.

When we finally got to Xining, we decided the hostel I originally reserved wasn’t such a great place—too out of the way and their hot water and electricity were off for some reason. So, we spent a long time driving around downtown to find a hotel room. We finally did and the three were nice enough to come inspect the room with me, start up the electric kettle and show me which the hot and cold water was.

Even though I wasn’t tired, I was in bed by 4 am, and slept a solid three hours but am now awake again and hungry. Unlike the first flight, the second flight’s meal was far less appetizing, so I ate the cabbage and some rice, and then two granola bars and ginger tea that I had brought with me when I got to my hotel room. 

 Alaska

 south of Anchorage

 Sea of Okhostk
 


on to Xining!

1 comment:

  1. That food looks AMAZING!! I am so excited for you! You are going to be having so much fun!!

    ReplyDelete