Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Getting to Know You...

Tuesday June 19, 2012
I had my two other classes today. Well, three if you count Gonbotashi抯 grammar class that I attended as a student. I didn抰 understand a whole lot, but it was fun to take notes in Tibetan. Maybe someday they抣l be useful.
My other two classes I taught today are the lower levels, although within the three classes I teach, there is great variance in ability levels which makes it difficult to know what level at which to teach. Some students don抰 completely know the alphabet and others are making correct basic sentences. I抦 doing what I can to make sure everyone gets something out of it, especially since I抦 only here three weeks. I抦 still not used to the formality of the classes here all students standing when I enter and when class ends, all reciting loudly in unison something to the effect of 揼ood morning teacher? and students standing when they have something to say or when I walk over to their desk to talk to them.
It抯 kept me busy the past few days preparing lessons and going to each class, but the weather抯 been a bit warmer so I抳e been outside anytime I抦 able. Today was some sort of special day and there were lots of people circling the stupa early this morning and lots of people around town, mostly on motorcycles.

 I took my usual walks, which is several times a day, and met lots of people a long the way. There were three young kids, one girl 10 years old and her two siblings, who surprisingly spoke decent English. It抯 always a joy when someone comes up to me and speaks my own language. Plenty of people love to try to talk to me, even if it抯 just 揾i? There were two kids yesterday who kept running up to me as I was circling, and every time I saw them I would say 揾i? and eventually they caught on and said it every time after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment