Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Back to School

Monday June 18, 2012
Today抯 first day of classes went very smoothly. I only have one 30-minute class on Mondays, and it is the graduating class. Gonbotashi, Chimedorje and another Tibetan grammar teacher sat in on my class, which is about 20 students in all. The students do not know a lot of English and are all pretty shy except for two boys who sat directly in front of me. I抦 not sure about their ages梩hat will a lesson for another day梑ut they seem to be around 15 to 20 years old. The classes here are very formal. All the students stand when the teacher walks in and they stand whenever they are called on, which I am not used to.

It takes a little more creativity teaching here because of the limited materials. For this English class we have no book or worksheets, and there are no overheads or the like in the classroom. The other teachers did not tell me anything about what to expect, so I planned a range of lessons and activities to prepare for different abilities. I抣l have to rely mostly on speaking, writing on the chalkboard, and the students taking notes. I will teach three different levels, with about two classes each day. They seem like great students and interested in learning, so I think I will enjoy teaching them for these few weeks I抦 here.

No comments:

Post a Comment