Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Shopping in Tibetan

Sunday June 17, 2012
I went to the shops today in search of toilet paper. I couldn抰 remember the word for toilet, only paper, but I held up a tissue and they got the idea. After that, I saw Namnang抯 14-year-old cousin at the top of the hill, so I ran up to her and showed her my purchase.  She took me around to some other shops just to see, which was really helpful. It抯 difficult to figure out the stores here. They do not have storefront windows, and many do not even have signs outside. The insides are dark and usually packed so it抯 pretty hard to find what you抮e looking for. 

Note that I can抰 exactly communicate except for a few words, so I was very grateful that she explained to all the people in the shops that I only know Lhasa dialect. People seem to think that is really funny for some reason. A lot of people assume I know Chinese, which I don抰, so they抮e surprised when I can at least say a few understandable words in Tibetan.

My two other friends, Gonbotashi and Chimedorje, returned to town yesterday and we went out to eat for dinner. It was really nice to see them again. We three will start teaching tomorrow. I haven抰 received much information about what I抦 to do, although I have some of my own things planned just in case. It should be interesting?

No comments:

Post a Comment