Saturday, March 9, 2013

time

I've been preoccupied lately with an upcoming transition to a new job, and one that I was offered to start sooner than expected, but is one that I feel will be more fulfilling than my current situation. I'm excited to start somewhere new, but I have recently realized how I have come to know the people I am surrounded by every day. I have had more people than I ever expected ask to go to lunch, or to a wine tasting, or some other event before I leave, and in a way I feel some regret in staying here for only a few months before packing up all over again. But, that is how it goes at this point in my life. I have friends and acquaintances all over, and for that I am grateful.

Even though we are not supposed to chat while on post at work, it is inevitable. Last week, I was in a gallery where there is a ticking grandfather clock. The clock is long past working on its own, so there is an iPod stationed out of sight with an app that ticks and chimes on the hour. Few people realize it's not actually the clock! However, the question I get asked the most often while in that room is if the ticking ever bothers me. It doesn't. Another officer and I were discussing the tick-tock, and decided it truly does make you acknowledge each second that goes by. For some, it might even seem frightening to have a constant reminder of all the time passing you. For me, stuck in that small stuff room for hours on end, I suppose it's always a reminder that it's one second closer to going home, but on a larger scale, you do tend to keep the concept of passing time at the front of your mind.

With my 26th birthday coming up in just a few weeks and the older I get, the more I realize how important it is to be in the moment and appreciate whatever is good. Over the past few months, that appreciation has mainly been in having a quiet and comfortable apartment to my own after years of sharing with others, and still being close enough to be able to drive home on my free days and spend time with my parents and animals. And, even though it drove me crazy at times, I tried to appreciate the fact that my jobs were not stressful and allowed me time to just think-- whatever thoughts came to mind. You never know when the times will change and it really is so important to find the good in whatever circumstances you have at the moment.

1 comment: