Friday, February 22, 2013

cross-country ski day: second attempt

It was my second attempt because yesterday, apart from a small test run down the road near my apartment, I didn't go skiing. I got my car stuck in the snow instead. I drove to the park perfectly fine, avoiding all the other stuck and sliding people, and circled the block twice trying to find a place to park other than the park's lot, which was not plowed. A few other cars had gone in, but apparently the snow plow had come by after them, building up more snow against the side of the road. That's where I got stuck. It wasn't even two minutes before a couple in a jeep cheerfully jumped out in their snow gear with shovels and started digging me out and pushing the front of my car. They were just driving around helping stuck people! Not even another two minutes my poor car was dislodged. I decided I would come back the next day, which I did.

Today's run was much better coordinated, and the snow was actually melting somewhat and the entrance to the park had been plowed. Two people were already out making tracks, and I attempted to catch up to them, but they left before I ever got there. Still, I had plenty of established trail to work on. I spent all morning out there on my favorite loop that the others had started, with part of it coming down from a fun slope that sent me flying so fast I felt like I was skiing downhill.

After a big lunch to refuel at home, I decided to go back since the sun was out finally. I noticed more people had been out, and some parts of our ski track had been trampled, making it a very slow process to get anywhere. At the top of that slope, I spotted two people and their small dog near the bottom, but walking on the track. I started down, keeping slow enough to not cause an accident. They finally heard me coming and moved, but their dog barely made it out before getting run over. I know the snow is deep, and our lovely tracks made for easier footing, but it seems Midwesterners need some lessons in snow etiquette. Nonetheless, it was a beautiful day!

                                                                       early on, with few tracks

                                                                following an already-made trail

                                                                          through the pretty trees

                                                                                           rest stop

No comments:

Post a Comment