Saturday, March 30, 2013

"a delightful change of pace"

...as my mother would say.

It's been a bit of an adjustment even over the past 24 hours going from living in a substantially sized city to a place where road signs caution "Thickly Settled" (a "30 mph speed trap") and "Blind Drive" signs that require everyone to slow in order to let someone turn into their driveway each minute or so. And that's on the "highway". No road follows a straight path, as I'm sure city planning was not on the priority list of the first people to settle in one of the oldest parts of the United States. The dense tree coverage also prevents one from orienting themselves. I now realize when a distance is calculated to .8 miles, it will really take driving about 3 to 4 miles total, and twice as long as expected (for the reasons stated as above).

Many businesses are not yet open for the season, including the museum at which I will be working. I drove by it today though, trying to figure out where it is in relation to my future house. Apparently it's less than a mile away if you're walking on the trail, and about a mile an a half if you're on the road. Not bad!

Despite some difficulties in navigating, I've made it around to a few places in Cape Cod. I had my first Sandwich in Sandwich:
There are two main bridges onto Cape Cod, the Bourne, and the Sagamore, here. They were opened in 1935. They're quite fun to drive over, although the lanes are a tight squeeze for the car I'm driving.
Old, little cemeteries are all over the place. The gravestones are so thin. This one is on a small hill between a pond and a residential street, very near the museum.
I drove north of my future house to find a beach area. It's a very narrow and rocky beach with coarse sand.
               
                                                                     And that's all for today's ventures.

1 comment:

  1. I remember (and loved) the old gravestones everywhere. So different, timewise, from the midwest.

    ReplyDelete