Friday, May 27, 2011

sorry Zen Zero

I just had the best Thai food ever, and it didn't come from my beloved restaurant Zen Zero in my beloved city of Lawrence. But that's alright. I've come to the conclusion that San Diego has some of the best restaurants I've been to, and surprisingly there are places even college students can afford.

Today was a work day. I started it off with more free pancakes at the hostel, and I noticed the Kazakhs I taught how to make pancakes yesterday had not progressed much past another 3-lb pile of a mixture of burned crispies and sloppy batter. At the museum, I did more of the same at work in terms of collection cataloging. Not much to mention in that department.

The trolley adventure today was just that-- an adventure. At least I managed to get on trolleys all going in the desired directions, even though I missed one thinking it was going opposite where I wanted when in fact it was the exact one I wanted.

I can't believe I'm going to admit this, but I got lost this evening. If you know me, you know I never get lost. Even so, I wasn't really lost because I knew I was on the right street the entire time-- I just happened to walk right past my hostel and kept on going, thinking I would see it. All the people out enjoying their Friday nights were distracting, as was this fellow:


And he was good! Good enough I gave him $1. I've got a three day weekend, so that means I'll finally spend some time sightseeing. I've seen lots of sights from the boat I sit on every day, which mostly consists of this type:



On the inside of the boat, the upper deck of the museum is where the ferry seating is. The boat was built in 1898 and took 1700 people at a time from Oakland to San Francisco. It's got beautiful stained glass windows (except they aren't stained, they are some other thing that I can't remember that is better than stained, but still colored). Anyway, it's gorgeous. People use it for their wedding receptions. Not a bad idea...



Today was windy ("windy" at about 15 mph), and the water choppy. The museum (boat) was rocking, which I was unsure whether it could do or not until today. I'm amazed at how consistent the weather is here. It's cool in the evenings (60 F), and mostly sunny throughout the day (70 F). And that's the 10-day forecast from weather.com!

No comments:

Post a Comment