Wednesday, May 25, 2011

a few minutes and some decent internet

After an afternoon of stress, I'm finally in a place where I can relax for a bit and give an update on my little adventure so far. I've started my work at the San Diego Maritime Museum which consists mostly of cataloging objects. That means I go through and look at each item, noting damage or other issues, and take photos. I then put all the information, including an accession number, into the database on the computer. It's a little tiring for an all-day activity, but at least the objects are interesting. Today I worked on sailing sketches (some very good ones in ink), some Pacific Island boat models and art by Gauguin, which are part of a new exhibit on Captain Cook, Gauguin, and Herman Melville:


After work today, I was frantically trying to find a Starbucks, as it is the only place pretty much guaranteed to have free internet (which I have decided I am too reliant on).  Anyway, I ended up at one of those Starbucks stands inside a grocery store, which as it turns out, did not have internet. I then made a fool out of myself trying to make my way through a rotating gates that would not rotate in the direction I intended to walk. Who puts up one of those in a grocery store anyway?? It looked like they had installed cattle panels in there...

I'm now biding my time in a hostel in downtown San Diego until I can move into the apartment I am renting next week. The friendly girl in the bunk below me is from Denmark, but she lived in San Diego for 4 years while in school and is back for a visit, so she's been very helpful with information about this place. Thank goodness.

And because no blog post is complete without a picture...
This is right outside of San Diego. If it wasn't all Indian Reservation, I'd love to live here, away from the city.

1 comment:

  1. Hahah...living away from the city...I hear that! Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete