Monday, February 18, 2013

happy President's Day!

The Harry S. Truman Presidential Library and Museum was serving up the favorite cookies of US presidents today, so I went to sample. I couldn't believe the long line for cookies, but luckily I had already explored the museum for over and hour before most people arrived, so I was able to get up in the front. I chose Johnson's lemon bars and Carter's pecan bars. Museum volunteers had baked so many different kinds, and they all looked delicious, but considering the line, I wanted there to be enough for the rest.

I loved the recreated Oval Office of 1950 room, and so did Fox 4 news. I think I was in the background while they were filming.

After finishing off my cookies, I headed down to Independence Square, the cute downtown area very close by. I stopped in to a Scandinavian store, and then to a German restaurant where I got an amazing sandwich and hot potato salad. Then I found a great antique store with the most reasonable prices I have seen. I was greeted by a middle-aged, three-legged chihuahua, which I immediately went to pet. I am definitely animal-deprived. His name was Skitter (or something that rhymes with that) and he had been hit by a car just before Christmas and had to have his leg amputated, but he was the sweetest (and leanest) chihuahua I've ever met. He followed me around while I browsed. I didn't come back with anything but a leftover sandwich half, but I had a really enjoyable morning!

2 comments:

  1. It was! It looked like a miniscule greyhound! And remember, it can't help the way it was born, and it truly was a sweet dog that just wanted attention. No yipping, either!

    ReplyDelete