Friday, October 26, 2012

"Are the artists in this museum all professionals? This looks like what I used to do in kindergarten."

It's just one example of the variety of questions I get asked at work. What I want to reply with is, "Yeah, I totally agree" but instead I say "Well, everyone has their own opinion about art. Yes, most of these artists do their work professionally" (but how, I do not know...).  This was in reference to an over-sized painting with a solid background and a few round objects floating, and floating we know because there are shadows below them.

I'm not a fan of a lot of contemporary art. Much of it is confusing for me, that is until I read the text beside it. The museum does a nice job of explaining the artist's intentions, because not a lot of people can perceive their ideas through studying a picture of a floating olive.

Usually though, visitors' questions are about locating a specific piece of art, or locating the toilets or nearest exit. Some friendly people like to make conversation, and I appreciate that. Since I work in the evenings, a lot of the time there are very few people in the gallery, and it's quiet. I was told it was best to have a creative imagination for getting through the long stretches. The best method I've come up with so far is to practice Tibetan in my head when I have to count art pieces, or trying to describe them with the few words I know, or just learning a few phrases a day helps pass the time.




No comments:

Post a Comment