Wednesday, August 31, 2011

While reading about the societal differences between Bedouin nomads and sedentary peoples as observed by the 14th century historian Ibn Khaldun, I couldn't help comparing his 700-year-old remarks to the living situations of many today.

I used to joke with my sister about living out of a tent around campus (especially when I was having a less-than-enjoyable experience with some previous roommates), but there are some college students who truly have no home and yet still manage to remain in school. I've moved around plenty so far in my life-- I've lived in five different states and have had a total of 22 (non-family) roommates in the past 6 years.
It sure has gotten to be a pretty easy deal. During my first real move to a new state, I remember being about nine years old, crammed into a tiny international student housing apartment with my family. I remember two specific things about the apartment: the lingering food smell from previous inhabitants and the echo on the cold tiles. And I remember the little neighbor boy who snatched my bike for a joyride around the apartment building. I was none too happy.

And then there was the first time I moved away from "home", 70 miles away from my family. I was so homesick for the first week. Thinking back, that seems like nothing! Of course I still miss my family when I'm away, but I feel like I can make myself at home almost anywhere I end up.

 While on the drive back from California, my mom and I saw yurts around a lot of the less-populated areas of Arizona. They're popular because of the price (~$10,000) and their obvious portability. It seems to be a more appealing option than the typical trailer home, both functionally and financially (and aesthetically, don't you think?). They've even got yurt hotels there.

It must be kind of like the time my sister and I spent a week living in a teepee at Vashon Island, Washington. What fun we had, except for the cold showers!


As for me, I wouldn't mind having a space like this to call my own. It might be like a cross between luxury camping and frugal intrepid living, but I could see myself enjoying it for a while. And when I'm done, I can simply pack up and move on to something or somewhere different.


2 comments:

  1. What I remember about moving into the international student housing was, too, the international smells,but also waking up each morning, stepping over Legos and bikes, with this mother's mantra going through my head: "Pretend it's a condo and you're on vacation...Pretend it's a condo..."

    And then? Loving the first house we saw, but knowing one should never buy the first house one sees. So, days later and many house viewings past, we bought the first house we looked at.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember going to the library quite a lot that summer, and reading many, many books.

    ReplyDelete