Thursday, August 4, 2011

at home...

...in the anthropology museum. That's where I spent my evening-- at the Museum of Man in Balboa Park. It was Tower After Hours, which is the museum's monthly cultural night, and this night was Finland. I went just as much for Finland as I did for the rest of the museum. With admission, they also gave out two tickets for drinks, although I only made it through one glass of wine. The food was amazing, as was the museum.

Mmmm.... and I went back for seconds. And then dessert. And then dessert seconds.
I'm not exactly sure what I ate, but rye bread, eggs, dill, smoked fish and some sort of creamy sauce seemed to make up many of the choices, all in different varieties, and all delicious. I'll have to go hunt down some recipes now.


I'll admit I almost didn't go, but then decided that 9 out of 10 times I do something I'm wary about, I end up enjoying it, and this time was definitely worth it. I thought, not another mummy exhibit, but to my amazement it wasn't your typical King Tut sort. It had mummies from all over, even a hawk mummy found in Arizona. Whoever thought this one up is my hero, and surprisingly, mummies smell good.
lotus oil (lovely), natron salt, cedar oil (also very nice), palm oil, frankincense & myrrh
I loved this little addition to the cultural evolution area:
How cute!
 Also, there was a bone oddity exhibit-- all sorts, from disease to human modifications (think corsets and foot binding). It makes you wonder if certain beauty "modifications" we see today will someday be regarded as plain horrific or maybe we will realize them as detrimental to our health as these sort of things are generally viewed now. I wish I could describe everything I saw, but that's just too difficult! It was everything an anthropology museum should be, and so of course I enjoyed myself very much.

Here is the tower referred to in Tower after Hours

Balboa Park in the evening, with far fewer people

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm...never smelled a mummy. Is the glass of wine, reason for calling your sister so late, only to apologize and hang up?! Hahahahaha...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well... I was taking my time afterwards and walking around the park before driving home, so yes! Hahaha. Don't worry, soon I'll be back in the two-hour-difference zone and won't have as many issues.

    ReplyDelete