Wednesday, August 24, 2011

a new language!

I just love learning languages. I always have, at least since I started with French in seventh grade. (Okay, I took a semester of Spanish before that but for some reason never really got attached to it) After seven years of that, I was ready for something new and moved on to Georgian. I did not have much help with this language, because out of 5 million speakers of whom most tend to be located on another continent, it's not very likely you'll run into someone who can help you when you face something like the inevitable grammar question. But, there's always the internet! I've found several sites that have been very helpful over the years, especially unilang.org, which has forums and plenty of people to answer your questions.

After learning the Tibetan alphabet and some useful phrases this spring semester thanks to a student from work, I kept practicing throughout the summer. This was mostly because I spent two hours commuting to and from the museum each day on the trolley, and so I traded off knitting and learning a language to pass the time.  Then on the first day of classes, on Monday, I walked out of the office at work and saw a sign on the bulletin board for the elementary Tibetan class at KU. What fun! I checked enrollment once I got home and coincidentally the class was only two days a week and at a time when I don't have class or work, so of course I signed up. I'm thinking it will be a good mental break from my regular grad school classes.


3 comments:

  1. Its not fair to say you didn't have much help, you always had as much help as you asked for learning Georgian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, okay... I'll blame it on the verbs. They don't make any sense! But, we all know you're a physicist, not a language teacher :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) Come one, we have coolest verbs in the world!

    ReplyDelete