Wednesday, July 27, 2011

a room with a view

I may not enjoy sitting all day in front of a computer, but I can't complain about the view:
The  tourists (and all their lovely Hawaii prints and goofy hats) are often a part of this view. They are usually seen doing the Titanic move at the bow of this ship, the Medea, which happens to be my favorite boat here.
The Medea in the 1930s, courtesy of hnsa.org
 It was built in 1904 in Scotland, and in only 30 days, as a family fun boat for the family of William Macalister. (Although apparently not so fun for his wife, who was prone to seasickness: she would get off the boat before they went around the cape, take a carriage across land, and join them on the other side.)

Later on, the Medea made its way around to several militaries and was involved in both World War I and World War II. And now, here it is over a hundred years later, looking as beautiful as ever in San Diego.
A painting of Medea by Richard de Rosset
The back portion of the deck. Mostly everything is wood (teak and oak) except the hull which is steel. It was a steam yacht until the museum converted it to diesel, and they still take it out for a sail like they did today.

The little parlor. There is also a nice dining room.
 Other than the nice view of the boat and harbor, every few minutes a plane comes in for landing right across the horizon, just barely above the buildings. This keeps me strangely occupied as well. I love to see which Southwest Airlines paint job I can check off my list. So far, this has been my favorite:

No comments:

Post a Comment