Saturday, July 2, 2011

Coronado canines

I went on a beach walk today on Coronado Island (it's actually a peninsula). I had intended for a long walk, and was well on my way, until the military police so kindly informed me that I was not allowed to walk on their beach, so I had to turn back early. Instead, I made my way to the dog beach:
I love the poodles!
 I should also explain that the military has their own beach because there are two bases there: Naval Air Station North Island and Naval Amphibious Base Coronado. There are frequent (& noisy) flyovers, and usually interesting large ships to see on the horizon at Coronado.

Coronado is located directly across the bay from downtown San Diego and it is most well-known for its Hotel del Coronado. It was the largest resort hotel in the US when it opened in 1888.


Another interesting thing I learned today is that Charlie Chaplin was very much involved with polo playing on Coronado when he lived there. Here he is on the field in 1921:
courtesy of Coronado Public Library
And, Lindbergh's Spirit of St. Louis plane was built in San Diego and took off from Coronado in order to get to New York to start the trip across the Atlantic. Here's the plane, now at the National Air & Space Museum.

2 comments: