Thursday, June 9, 2011

where are those Santa Ana winds?

I really should have checked the climate reading for southern California before I moved here. Then I would have known it is a "Mediterranean climate": an average of 57 degrees in January (sounds good!), but only 72 in August. The only time San Diego really gets a hot streak is when the Santa Ana winds blow from the eastern deserts.

We drove through Phoenix on the way here, and it definitely was a desert-- hot, dry, sunny. Now that I'm on the coast, I've experienced the complete opposite of Kansas weather. I remember once this spring in Kansas when it was below freezing on a Monday, and 90 degrees on that Friday. Here, it's sunny all the time and very consistent temperatures in the 60's.

Still, today was cloudy in the 60's. One of the docents turned on a space heater in the boat's library (I'm not the only cold one!), and for once I felt comfortable. I've been wearing all the layers I brought with me when I go to work, which isn't much considering it's summer and supposed to be hot, or so I thought. It felt so nice with the heat that I was seriously considering going to buy a space heater for my room just so I could be out of long pants and a sweatshirt for once.

I was talking to my cashier at the grocery store the other day about this conundrum, and he told me to "just wait a month". We'll see about that...

No comments:

Post a Comment