Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Happy World Oceans Day!

Today I found out that the hordes of adorable sea lions around here are actually considered a problem for boaters. I was so excited to see wild sea lions when I first got here, and I was unaware how many there are along the coast of San Diego, but it's their migrating season now.

Apparently, not only do they enjoy the rocky cliffs along the water, they also enjoy relaxing on boats.

That orange construction netting is suppose to keep them off and the larger male sea lions can weigh about 600 pounds, so it's easy to see how they can damage the boats. The city has people working to move them by using water hoses and nudging them off with long poles, but I read about how they will slide off when they hear people coming and just wait under the boat until they leave!

No comments:

Post a Comment