Wednesday, June 22, 2011

it's officially summer...

...according to both the calendar and the weather. It finally got above 70 degrees here, and combined with the sun, it felt especially nice!

I've been doing much of the same cataloging and researching objects at the museum, except with different collections. After the Oceania collection, I moved on to toy boats-- little clockwork tin model boats from the 1920s to the 1980s. I have to admit they look like fun, especially the submarines. Too bad I can't try them out...


After that came the "medical boxes". I thought museum cataloging couldn't get any worse than arsenic-stuffed taxidermied birds until I opened up one of these and found a Civil War surgery kit, complete with amputation saws. I've seen many of these in museums before, but let me tell you, there is a whole lot of difference when they are safely behind a piece of glass as opposed to just sitting there in front of you. Fail me out of grad school, I don't care, I am not going to take those things out of their box for individual pictures!

I'll skip a picture of that collection and leave you with Robert E. Lee and his pony, Traveller
 Thankfully I have now moved on to lighting. Yes, just lamps and the like: buggy lanterns, whale oil lamps, lighthouse lamps, etc.
old lighthouse lantern

1 comment:

  1. What thrills me is that YOU are allowed to handle all these things that we would get our hands slapped if we tried to even "touch" one!! Amputation saws?! I am really living vicariously through you! (I don't want to disarm anyone...I would just like to look up close and personal at these things...)

    As for the lamps: how fun! You can plan interior decor ad infinitum!

    ReplyDelete