Saturday, September 17, 2011

understanding Ewoks

I know I'm making progress in my learning Tibetan when I can understand what the Ewoks are saying.

From Wikipedia: Ben Burtt, the sound designer of Star Wars says: "For the Ewoks, I was inspired by a recording on a BBC documentary of an elderly woman speaking Tibetan. It was very high-pitched and sounded like a good basis for Ewokese to me. Eventually then, what evolved was a pidgin, or double talk version of words from Tibetan, Nepali and other Mongolian languages [sic, neither Tibetan nor Nepali are Mongolian languages]."

"Tibetan diaspora was puzzled as many of the phrases they could make out did not correlate to events on screen."                                      
                                                     http://www.tk1336.com/ewok.html

No comments:

Post a Comment