Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Things I Enjoy..and Things I am Missing

Sunday July 8, 2012
Before I left Seattle, my cousin told me to let her know what foods I’m craving as I near the end of my trip. I can say for sure that I’m craving cold milk, fresh oven-baked bread and fish. The meat isn’t bad here, but they sure do eat a lot. I feel like I should have told them I was vegetarian because at home I generally eat meat only about twice a month. Here, it’s twice a day—yak and sometimes sheep.

They only serve hot drinks, and since I can’t keep up with their tea drinking, they usually give me hot water instead. I happened to meet a student this morning who invited me to his friend’s house where I was served hot water and then a heaping spoon of butter on top. Then this afternoon, I met another student while out shopping and he invited me for some tsamba. That’s the Tibetan staple food, roasted barley flour with bits of hard cheese, a lot of butter, and black tea poured over the dry stuff.

Tsamba
Food around here lasts a long time—the cheese is mostly completely dry so it just sits out without going bad. The butter has a distinct smell… some say a rancid smell… and it seems to sit out a long time too, so I’m assuming a lot of the liquid is out of it. Along with the meat, I’ve been trying to counteract my yak butter intake (which seems to be in everything) with lots of walking up mountains.

Yak Butter 

Churra is Tibetan for cheese. There is basically only one kind here-- and some of the larger pieces will nearly break your teeth if you don't let them soak for long enough. Droma is what some people call sweet potato, but they are tiny little things, and are bought dried hard like beans and then boiled. They taste a little sweet, and the consistency is a little like a potato, but they don't taste like sweet potatoes to me. They usually serve them with sugar and, of course, butter on top. Sometimes we eat them with yogurt or in a soup with rice and the hard churra.

Churra
 
 Droma, Dri, and Red Sugar
 
I had my friend Tenzin here until today who was always up for walking. I was very grateful to have him around because having lived in Lhasa and India and having worked at restaurants and coffee shops where lots of foreigners were, he had a good idea of the things I might have a hard time with here, namely the food differences and the cleanliness factor.

With no running water, I’ve never gone so long without a shower, but it’s not much of a problem since it’s not hot enough to sweat. I still wash my hair (in a wash basin) once or twice a week which I decided is as much as I can handle. I only do it on sunny days so I can sit out and let it dry. I’ve got two wash basins in my room, one for my face, and one for the rest of my body. Every few nights I fill up a giant thermos with steaming hot water. It’s amazing because the thermoses here (which everyone uses) keep things hot for over 24 hours—yes, still steaming a day later. Even 48 hours later the water is still warm. I also have a large paint bucket that I fill with cold water from the well pump in the yard—washing hair, clothes, hands, brushing teeth.

There is a washing machine, but since I have so few clothes, I usually just decide to wash them by hand. The washing machine is not like any giant American appliance. This is a portable machine: one person can carry it to the yard, fill it with water, plug it in and go. Then everything line dries. It’s really pretty simple, and then again, most things here are.

 
 Before I came, I was told there was a toilet here, but since I’ve been in China, I’ve learned to never expect something of white porcelain with running water when someone mentions “toilet”, and also never expect any paper products or even a way to clean your hands. The toilet here at home is outhouse style, two rooms with two rectangular holes each, which I have come to really appreciate when I compare it to the rest of the houses, stores, and restaurants here with nothing. It’s just outside to… anywhere… the ditch, the road, the river, the field.


No comments:

Post a Comment