Monday, January 23, 2012

deer friends

I got off the bus this evening, right after the sun set, and started my walk across the soccer fields to the main road. All of a sudden I spotted two deer in front of me, nibbling at the ground. They blend in so well at dusk that I hadn't seen them. A few seconds later they too saw me and stopped to stare. I'd never been so close to deer before! One had giant antlers that reached taller than me, and I wondered if deer had ever been known to head-butt anyone. Luckily, they didn't move, just watched me as I was passing and then continued to scavenge the soccer fields, although I'm not sure just what kind of foods they could find in such an area.

(I now know deer do sometimes attack, mostly during mating season, or if a mother is with fawns.)

http://www.utahwildlifephotos.com/Largemammals/Mule-deer/muledeerbucksagebrushBookCliff/525168832_dKuJ4-L.jpg

1 comment: